5 Things To Do When You Feel Your Job Is Going Nowhere
We are continuously evolving in our careers and lives, so there are times when your “dream job” will no longer fulfill you. And when that happens, it can be very frustrating to feel like there’s nowhere for you to grow...like you’ve hit a dead-end.
The good news is feeling like that is okay and normal! When you feel bored or no longer fulfilled with a job, it’s usually because you aren’t being challenged enough and your full potential is not being reached.
Feeling like you’ve outgrown your career is a great opportunity for you to get clarity on what you want. I have 5 quick tips to share to help you gain clarity about what you want and create a strategy to help you move forward in your career.
1. Make a list of what you like and don't like about your current job. Be specific and detailed. Since you won’t be sharing this list, you want to be honest with yourself about what you want.
2. After you've made your list, take a look at the things you love about your job. Ask yourself:
What are the commonalities?
Are there specific skills you excel at?
What would you like to do more of?
How would you like to dive deeper into the things you’re good at?
3. Write out your ideal job description. Include what you want to be doing every day and what your key responsibilities are.
4. Schedule a meeting with your boss to discuss expanding your responsibilities. In the meeting, highlight what you love about your job and what you think you're best at. Describe what you would like to do be doing every day and explain how you would like to contribute more to the company.
Tip: During the meeting discuss some ways to expand your role together. You may need to take on more responsibilities or move to a different department. No matter what happens, stay positive and focus on how you want to grow and contribute.
5. If there’s not an opportunity for you to grow with your current job, use the list and job description you created to find new opportunities or mentors in a field you want to pursue.
Once you know what it is you want from a career, it's much easier for you to find it! Feeling like you’re stuck can be frustrating, but when you view it as an opportunity to think about where you are and what you want, it can be very helpful.
If you decide you can't move forward in your current job and are ready to pursue new opportunities, check out my FREE resume writing course and take the first step to find a job you love.